Breakdown insurance

broken down car.images

Breakdown insurance covers a variety of vehicles, including cars, vans and motorbikes, and typically provides services such as roadside assistance, loan vehicles/alternative transport for where you need to go, and can help pay for or subsidise overnight accommodation near the vicinity of your breakdown or your intended destination. All this cover is quite expensive, so ask what do you really need.

Basic roadside assistance will usually take place anywhere on the road in the UK outside a quarter mile radius of your home – additional cover providing support and assistance should you break down on your driveway can usually be added to a policy for a small additional fee.

Breakdown insurance is typically split into two types of policy covering providing either vehicle cover or driver cover. Vehicle cover protects the vehicle, so repairs can be made regardless of who was at the wheel. Personal cover is useful for drivers with multiple vehicles – if for example, you drive a van for work and a car for personal journeys, then a personal cover plan will ensure you for any of your vehicles which you are driving.

Your Key recommends you buy breakdown cover. Your Key is an accident support service, not breakdown, so breakdown cover is important. Do weigh up the options taking account of your vehicles and likely drivers. Do not just take
the vehicle insurer’s offer as it may not be the cover you need.

We have looked at some alternatives to the traditional breakdown insurance products. please click here to weigh them up.